The Village of Glenwood is a rural, family oriented community northwest of Cardston. Originally part of the great Cochrane Ranch, 640 acres were divided off to become the Village of Glenwood. The Town site was divided into blocks of 8 acres each, and building lots of one acre each with streets 8 rods wide running at right angles through the Town. When the Town blocks ended, ten acre lots were surveyed so that the Town residents could have a small pasture for a few cows.
On the original Town site of Glenwood, one block was set aside for Church buildings,another for district school purposes, and another, larger than the other two, for park purposes. In the center of town, along Main Street, business lots of 50 foot frontages were marked off.
It was Edward Wood, a builder of lands, communities and people who was given the responsibility of dividing the land into farms, planning the town site, choosing the routes for roads and deciding on the river crossings for bridges. He had been instrumental in purchasing 66,500 acres from the Cochrane ranch for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints for $299,000 in 1906 and it was part of this land that became Glenwood.
When it was suggested that the name of the Town be Edwood, Edward Wood declined, requesting instead that it be named Glenwood after his first born son. Thus, the little Village came to be in 1908 but it wasn’t until 1962 that it was officially incorporated.